Time: 20 minutes prep + 19 minutes baking + cooling
Description: rich, moreish and chocolatey Mocha Caramel Cupcakes with a simple coffee caramel filling and light coffee buttercream. These cupcakes are great for Easter and are delicious enjoyed with an extra square of 85% Dark Chocolate and a cup of Machu Picchu coffee. These cupcakes are naturally vegan and easy to make.
For the Cupcakes:
160ml plant-based milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
60ml light olive oil
150g light brown sugar
90g thick coconut yoghurt or mashed banana
1 tsp vanilla essence
210g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
150ml + 50ml hot brewed Machu Picchu Coffee
120g 85% Dark Chocolate, chopped small
For the Caramel:
60g smooth, runny nut or seed butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 ½ tbsp coffee (made as above)
For the Frosting:
2 tbsp cooled brewed coffee (made as above)
80g vegan butter, softened
70g vegan cream cheese, room temperature
450g icing sugar
12 squares of 85% Dark Chocolate
Cocoa powder, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180ºC and line a 12-hole muffin tin with liners.
2. Brew a total of 200ml of Machu Picchu coffee and divide it into 150ml (for the cupcakes) and 50ml for the filling and frosting.
3. For the cupcake batter: whisk together the plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar, yoghurt and vanilla till smooth. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Whisk till the mix is halfway combined and then pour in 150ml hot coffee. Whisk till smooth and now fold in the chopped chocolate.
4. To bake: use an ice cream scoop to divide the batter evenly between the 12 cases, filling ¾ full. Place in the centre of the oven for 19 minutes, or until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5. To cool: remove immediately and carefully from the cupcake tin and cool fully on a wire rack.
6. Prepare the caramel: whisk together all the ingredients including the 1 1/2 tbsp of coffee till smooth.
7. Make the frosting: beat together the butter and cream cheese till softened and gradually add in the icing sugar and COOLED coffee in batches. Once fully incorporated, beat on high for 1-2 minutes till really fluffy. Stir with a spatula and spoon into a piping bag with a star or closed star nozzle.
8. To decorate the cupcakes: core the middle and fill with the coffee caramel. Place the round of cake over the middle and pipe on the buttercream. Decorate with a square of chocolate, some sprinkles, coffee beans and dust with cocoa powder.
9. To store: eat straight away or keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer (ideally without the caramel or frosting) for up to 1 month. Allow to defrost before filling and frosting.
Recipe by @nourishing.amy
With thanks to our friends at Divine Chocolate for sharing the recipe with us!